1938 Calcutta Travel Poster
This 1938 travel poster shows people gathered by the newly opened Metro Cinema in Calcutta (now Kolkata). This theatre was opened by MGM, an American Production Company, based in Beverly Hills, in 1934 to promote their films in Calcutta, which was among the most important cities throughout the British Empire and had a large English-speaking population. From the 1940 to the 1970s, the theatre became a significant part of the popular culture of the city of Calcutta. Films such as ‘Gone with the Wind’ and ‘Ben-Hur’ were screened here. The Bollywood movie ‘Bobby’ ran here for 52 weeks in the 70s. The building is now a heritage structure and a recognizable landmark of the city.
- 11" x 17" matte paper
- Reprint of the original
- Frame not included
- Frame used in photo: https://amzn.to/3O81zfa